<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> Untitled Document

Pitt Rivers Museum

Emblazoned Trobriand War Shields Collection


Made by: 1906 – Trobriand Islands
Material: Wood Plant            - Pigment
Process: Carved – Painted
Collected: 1906
Other Owners: S.W. Silver Letcomb Manor (private museum)
PRM Source: Mrs. S.W. Silver
Acquired: Donated  3 1906

Accession book entry MRS S.W. SILVER, Letcomb Manor, Wantage. Specimens from the collection of the late W.S. [amended to S.W] Silver Esq, formerly exhibited in his private museum at Letcomb Manor. The numbers refer to Mr. Silver’s printed catalogue [???]….- small painted wooden shield, Trobriands.’ [JC 26 2 1997]

No additional information on catalog index cards. [JC 26 2 1997]

The PRM collection of Trobriand war shields was apparently examined by Patrick Glass; see page 61 of ‘The Trobriand Code: An Interpretation of Trobriand War Shield Designs,” by Patrick Glass, Anthropos, Vol. LXXXI (1986), pp. 47-63. [JC 26 2 1997]

Length 58 cm, Thickness 4.5 cm [SWW]

Condition notes: This shield is the smallest in the PRM collection and has a scuffed up surface with water marks and faded paint. There are open ‘E’ designs. Design at top has four designs. [SWW: 25.03.1997]